March 7, 2010

Tonight I watched Crazy Heart and surprisingly loved it. Jeff Bridges is amazing. And for some reason I felt a tinge of pride about the uniqueness of American landscapes and especially the desert west - and even a little pride of, dare I say... country music. Something about being in a theatre full of Brits inspired this feeling. After the movie I stood up and shouted "I'm from America and the desert southwest and this story is uniquely American and yeah you may holiday in the countryside of France for a month every year and you may be better informed about international affairs but.. look at that sagebrush! You don't have that shit here and country music could never have been inspired by the British experience"* (*note, segments of this blog entry may be exaggerated or entirely fictionalized).

Anyway. It's simple and cliche in many ways, but Jeff Bridges makes this film supremely enjoyable. I even felt uplifted. Go see it.

9 comments:

  1. I laughed pretty hard at this. I love big sky country, america!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you said that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know!! The crowd was stunned and offered me a free round at the pub to celebrate America!! But I went home so we could skype sesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to see this. Glad you stood up with your Americano pride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "country music could never have been inspired by the British experience"

    well played sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .. finally went and watched the film and I really liked it.

    THOUGH, do you kind of feel like it was "The Wrestler" version of a country singin' man??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys, this post sounds a little silly now. I don't love country, but I think the old, legit stuff is good and unique. The Brits have cooler things to brag about I'm sure.. like, uh.. fish and chips. That's brilliant stuff. Yeah Todd I guess I can see that. I didn't think of it once while i was in the movie, but now that you mention it. There are probably a lot of similar stories in film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really, really wish that the fictionalized part of that entry were entirely true. It would be even more amazing.

    ReplyDelete